Intoxication assault is when an intoxicated driver accidentally causes serious bodily injury to another person. In other words, an injury that causes:
- Permanent disfigurement
- Protracted loss of function for any body member or organ.
Intoxication Assault Penalties
Intoxication assault is a third-degree felony. Penalties include:
- 2-10 years in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
- License suspension for 180 days – 2 years.
- Fines up to $10,000.
- Disqualification from voting and owning a gun.
- A 2nd degree felony if the victim is to a firefighter or emergency medical services personnel.
- A 1st degree felony if the victim is to peace officer or judge.
Intoxication Assault Probation
If you get probation, the court will impose a minimum of 30 days in the county jail. However, you will be ineligible for probation if the court believes you used a deadly weapon. In addition, the court must impose at least 160 hours up to 1000 hours of community service to any probationary term. Similarly, you will be required to install an interlock device on your car and after that, participate in an approved alcohol or drug education program
Call Houston DWI Lawyer Clyde Burleson
In conclusion, if you’ve been arrested, don’t plead guilty to a DWI! Above all, get a proven Houston DWI Lawyer who can represent you in a court of law. Contact Houston DWI attorney Clyde W. Burleson, P.C. today 713-628-1503 to be sure you’re getting the best DWI Lawyer in Houston that you can!