Did you know that the cost of a DWI in Texas can exceed $20,000 if…
How Much Does a Houston DWI Lawyer Cost?
The short answer is:
- You can expect legal fees up to $5000 for cases that do not go to trial
- You can expect fees to go up to $10,000 if your case goes to court.
- The national average for hiring a DWI attorney is $6,500
Houston DWI Lawyer Cost Depends on a Lot of Variables
Each law firm charges different fees for these cases, and the charges will differ based on several factors. These factors include, but are not limited to:
- The gravity of the offense and/or any enhanced offense charges
- The lawyer’s experience and specialization
- Time spent collecting evidence and documentation
- Number of court appearances.
It may be difficult for a law firm to give you an accurate estimate of how much your legal fees will be without knowing the specific details of the offense.
Notes on DWI Lawyer Costs:
- Most lawyers provide a free initial DWI consultation to go over the facts of your case while some charge their hourly rate for the time.
- A DUI/DWI attorney may charge a flat fee or an hourly rate of $100-$300 or more
- A lawyer charging on an hourly basis deducts the hourly rate from the retainer as the work is done.
- When the retainer is gone you’ll be billed for additional payment
- Attorneys working on an hourly basis charge for time spent answering your questions on the phone or by e-mail, as well as case-related expenses such as interviews, research or photocopies.
- For a first DUI/DWI charge with few or no disputed facts and the intention to plead guilty flat fees start around $1000-$1,500, but some attorneys may charge $2,00-$4,00 or more for the same case.
- Many experienced DUI/DWI lawyers say that charging higher fees lets them represent fewer clients, so they can devote more time to each case
- Legal fees for repeat offenders start around $3,00-$5,000 and up depending on the number of past convictions and the complexity of the case
- Repeated offenses carry heavier penalties, and in many states a third DUI/DWI charge is automatically a felony.
- Whether flat amount or hourly rates, attorney fee for a DUI/DWI case that goes to trial could run anywhere from $4,000-$20,000 or more.
- If you choose to go to trial trial, the testimony of expert witnesses can add $2,000-$7,000 or more.
- Whether on a flat or hourly rate, your attorney will cost more if there are retrials or appeals.
Communication & Documentation
- When you first meet with an attorney, know the exact charges against you, your court date, your bail bond amount and any other pertinent facts.
- Your attorney should provide you with a detailed written fee agreement.
- Read it before signing and keep a copy for your records.
Get a Free Consultation to Discuss Costs and Other Concerns
During this initial consultation, you will find out the fee schedule and expected additional costs. For more guidance on how to select the best DWI lawyer for your case, review this list of topics and questions to discuss during your initial consultation.
The Cost of a Houston DWI Lawyer is Less Than The Potential Cost of Not Hiring a DWI Lawyer
However, you can’t only consider what the cost of a DWI lawyer will be. You must also consider the cost if you don’t hire an attorney. These include the financial cost of a DWI as well as the collateral costs of a DWI. Ask yourself questions like, “How much is losing my job over a DWI worth?”
If you’ve been arrested for DWI and are considering a lawyer, please call Clyde W. Burleson, P.C. at 713-628-1503 and get a free consultation. He has many payment options that should work with any budget.